Primary Grant Focus
Puget Sound Educational Service District (PSESD) aims to support secondary teachers in the Puget Sound region in utilizing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS)-aligned Literacy Design Collaborative (LDC) framework so that content area teachers have tools for making the necessary instructional shifts in literacy required by the CCSS.
Strategies for Supporting Common Core Success
PSESD provides secondary teachers access to both in-person and virtual professional learning opportunities, as well as free access to online resources designed to deepen CCSS knowledge and support CCSS implementation.
- Face-to-face professional learning events focus on building teacher competency to develop LDC modules and integrate CCSS-aligned approaches into their instruction. Teacher learning is scaffolded to gradually increase mastery of the rigorous content knowledge and instructional approaches required by the CCSS.
- To broaden teacher reach beyond the PSESD region and to reinforce learning between the in-person learning events, online professional learning events, such as webinars, are offered to teachers utilizing the LDC framework. These virtual events may focus on a case study of a teacher delivering an LDC lesson or on a specific CCSS-aligned instructional strategy. Ongoing virtual coaching is also available for follow-up support for teachers in targeted schools/districts.
- PSESD is interested in building connections among teachers and eliciting teacher voice on the topic of CCSS implementation. Effective teachers may become Puget Sound teacher leaders, who Tweet and blog about their LDC and CCSS instruction and promote the classroom benefits of implementing LDC and CCSS through in-person professional learning sessions and outreach to peers.
- A library of free digital resources, including videos, teacher leader blogs, case studies, webinars, slide presentations, print materials, and LDC information is available to teachers in the Puget Sound region and beyond via the CORElaborate website.
- Puget Sound Educational Service District
800 Oakesdale Avenue SW, Renton, WA 98057
Michelle Lewis, Learning and Teaching
Phone: (425) 917-7600
- Term of Grant: July 2013 – June 2015
Grantee Initiative: Growing a Community of Learners: Supporting Implementation of the Instructional Shifts in Literacy
Region: Puget Sound region (King and Pierce County plus Bainbridge Island)
Subject Area: Literacy
- Education Levels: Secondary