Primary Grant Focus
The College-Ready Promise (TCRP) is furthering its current support of Common Core State Standards (CCSS) implementation by offering math and literacy training to secondary content-area teachers from four charter management organizations (CMOs) with schools in California, New York and Tennessee. New professional learning opportunities for science and history teachers focus on how to deliver literacy instruction in their specific content areas.
Strategies for Supporting Common Core Success
TCRP’s Common Core implementation plans include using multiple strategies aimed at preparing all secondary teachers in the four CMOs to deliver CCSS-aligned instruction in 2015-16.
- To deepen teacher knowledge of the CCSS, including Literacy Design Collaborative and Mathematics Design Collaborative approaches, TCRP is providing face-to-face professional development to all secondary math teachers and math leads and, for 8 teacher leaders or instructional coaches among the four CMOs, face-to-face Reading Apprenticeship literacy training focused on metacognition, reader stamina, and collaborative learning.
- All teachers and students can access an array of complex texts selected for students from the EBSCO online database of informational, narrative, and primary texts, which TCRP is licensed to use.
- Teachers can access OverDrive, an online library of e-books, which can be used for self-directed study on topics related to the CCSS, CCSS-aligned instructional strategies, and technology literacy skills.
TCRP has planned a pilot opportunity for 43 history teachers and 12 coaches to learn and test the literacy-based, investigative strategies of the Document Based Questions (DBQ) project, aimed at increasing the rigor of reading informational texts and producing evidence-based writing in secondary history classes. TCRP has planned a second pilot opportunity for 30 science teachers and 9 coaches to learn and implement an inquiry-based approach to science instruction using the Teaching-Learning Collaborative reflective cycle. Data from teacher pre- and post-surveys, teacher feedback, and usage rates of the online EBSCO and OverDrive resources will inform how to scale these two professional learning trainings across the CMOs.
The College-Ready Promise
Term of Grant: July 2014 – October 2015
Grantee Initiative: Common Core: Accelerating the Drive for College-Readiness
- Region: California, New York, Tennessee
- Subject Area: Literacy, Mathematics, History and Science
- Education Levels: 6-12